Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Israeli Spectacular, isn't it?

Sorry for the delay in posting.  In the past few weeks I finished Ulpan and managed to get an "A" and I have started my real classes at the University.  Yesterday was my first day of classes, which consisted of Hebrew and Jerusalem's Architecture.  Now you may ask, "Julie, why are you taking an architecture course?" ... well, I will tell you! It's an easy class that gives me the opportunity to take field trips around Jerusalem to see firsthand what I am learning in the classroom and I can't do that at IU!  During our first class yesterday, we went on our first little excursion to the roof of one of the buildings on campus which overlooks all of Jerusalem.  This was my second trip up there because my friend and I accidentally found our way up there a few weeks ago while looking for the promenade and we were speechless. The first thing my architecture teacher said when we got to the roof was "Israeli spectacular, isn't it?".  Yes, it really is the most beautiful place in the world and I'm so lucky to have the opportunity to take classes here like Architecture of Jerusalem with a "Kibbutznik" and Issues in Contemporary Halacha with a wise old man who escaped Nazi Germany when he was a young boy.

In addition to my classes, I am also doing an internship through Hebrew Union College.  I am beyond excited to have this internship because it is giving me even more amazing opportunities.  My main responsibility is to advertise the events that are already on the calendar to the students at the International school with me.  These events include a Shabbaton on a Kibbutz, monthly potluck Shabbat lunches, etc.  I'm most excited for the Shabbaton because I will have a chance to lead some of the Shabbat services with some of the HUC Students!  Another part of my internship is to create a few events on my own.  I plan to do a musical Shabbat service at the student village and I'm still brainstorming the other event, but in any case I'm so thankful to have this internship!

Last Friday night I attended Shabbat at a Modern Orthodox Synagogue called Shira Hadasha.  I had heard such great things about their services, so I couldn't wait to go!  A woman led Kabbalat Shabbat, but everyone in the congregation was singing along and making the most beautiful harmonies.  I got goosebumps numerous times and I cannot wait to go back there again!  After the service, I came back to my apartment and my roommates and I made a big Shabbat dinner for some of our friends.  The ten of us squeezed around the table  and shared a delicious meal together and then proceeded to play guitar and sing for hours.  It was exactly what Shabbat is supposed to be.

This weekend, we're planning to go to Eilat which is 5 hours south of Jerusalem.  The weather is supposed to be gorgeous.  I love that I am a 45 minute drive from the Mediterranean Sea and the Dead Sea and only a 5 hour bus ride from Eilat.  I can casually go to the beach whenever I want, it's great!  Also, I finally have my spring break planned and I will officially be going to Greece, Italy, France, and the Czech Republic (and eating Ramen noodles for every meal!- JK.. Kind of :)  Well, that's it for now, back to homework, but I promise to write very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment